We’re seeking to fill the following positions:
JOB DESCRIPTION: DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMMING
Behind the Book’s Director of Programming is responsible for organizing and managing all aspects of programming from conception to execution and measurement. The Director of Programming works closely with the ED and with partner schools and manages a team of program coordinators, including part-time and volunteer.
The Director of Programming is primarily responsible to:
- Work with ED to identify potential partner schools
- With ED, present and position programming to school administrations
- Work with teachers to define program goals to support curriculum objectives that are in line with BtheB’s mission
- Identify and recruit authors/illustrators appropriate to program goals
- Work with classroom teachers and authors to design program curriculum and goals for measurement (including aligning program to Common Core and/or NYC DOE standards)
- Document program goals and standards
- Manage execution of program, including staffing volunteers and coordinating dates/assignments with classroom teacher and author
- Manage team of part-time and volunteer program coordinators
- Work with ED to manage program spend against budget, with goal to increase efficiency of visit costs
- Work with ED to measure program impact both short and long-term, including setting goals for efficacy and ensuring programs track toward those goals
- Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) in education (or related field)
- 3-5 years experience implementing in-school programming, preferably in NYC public schools
Please submit resumes to email@example.com.
JOB DESCRIPTION: PROGRAM COORDINATOR
About Behind the Book:
Behind the Book is a literacy non-profit that serves students in high need NYC public schools. Working with classrooms from K-12, Behind the Book identifies books that speak to urban youth and partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units by bringing the authors of those books into the classroom. Through a series of workshops, authors discuss their book and teach a genre of writing, encouraging students to see themselves as readers and writers and ultimately guiding them in the creation and publication of their own original writing.
Behind the Book seeks a part-time program coordinator to run our innovative reading promotion programs in schools. The program coordinator will be responsible for designing and implementing programs that align to the Common Core Standards, fits into the teacher’s curriculum and meets our three program goals:
- Engage students in reading
- Increase writing skills
- Increase self-efficacy
Every program is built around a book and its author and is designed in partnership with the author and the classroom teacher. The coordinator facilitates and leads this process, finds or produces any necessary classroom or teacher resources, and is present at every workshop to assist the author. Coordinators are responsible for all logistics and administration related to programs at their designated schools, including ordering books for students, scheduling workshops, arranging for project supplies, writing up project curricula, and more. In addition, coordinators are asked to document and reflect on program successes and challenges as part of our ongoing performance measurement system.
Bachelor’s Degree (Masters preferred) in education or related field
Previous teaching experience in an urban settingPassion for literacy, reading and books.
The perfect candidate will have a background in education or teaching, familiarity with the NYC school system and be comfortable with coaching teachers and authors.
If interested in this position, please submit a resume and a lesson plan to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Behind the Book is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
JOB DESCRIPTION: VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR
Behind the Book’s Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for supplying volunteers for programming, events and office work. This involves cultivating new and continuing volunteers and keeping track of volunteer hours.
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible to
- Work with the Director of Programs and the Program Coordinators
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers for program, events, and office work as needed.
- Communicate regularly with staff about upcoming volunteer needs.
- Communicate regularly with volunteers about upcoming volunteer opportunities.
- Post and update volunteer opportunities on various recruiting sites.
- Represent the organization at volunteer recruitment events
- Research and coordinate corporate volunteer programs
- 10 hours/week – must attend staff meetings bi-weekly & the rest can be done at off site
- college diploma
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office and
- Should have experience with databases. We use Salesforc
- Must be extremely organized and GREAT with people
ABOUT BEHIND THE BOOK
Behind the Book is a literacy non-profit that serves students in low-income NYC public schools. Working with classrooms from K-12, Behind the Book identifies books that speak to urban youth and partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units by bringing the authors of those books into the classroom.
Please submit resumes to email@example.com.